Sunday, March 22, 2009

Squirels

Squirrels are not really cute when they are eating the house.
We used to shoot them when I was a kid. The old Lady across the street would cook them. My Dad sold the little skins to somebody and I'd buy shotgun shells and books.
My Mom hated the dead squirrel trade. She thought the squirrels were cute and I was going to be a serial killer when I grew up.
The Squirrel trade fell apart when the old Lady was shipped off to a home by her kids. My Mom was very happy. She wasn't afraid of my becoming a serial killer and started feeding birds and squirrels and deer in the back yard. I cleaned my old 410 and forgot about it. I went hunting once in High School and that was it. I'm more of a fishing guy.
My Mom never complained about killing and gutting fish, just the cute little squirrels.
Jump ahead to Yesterday. I went home to help Mom clean some limbs out of the yard and she's sitting in the backyard with my shotgun, shooting at squirrels. They were now evil rat bastard turncoats that were chewing the new siding off the house.
Now I don't know if she will grow up to be a serial killer.

No comments: