Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Old GF's.

I went to Publix today for a birthday cake. They have the best grocery store Birthday Cake. I decided to get a sub while I was there.
I'm standing in line waiting for my sub and holding a 1/4 sheet cake with Happy Birthday Elvira written on it and up walks an XGF.
I am not adept at ending relationships. Almost every relationship I have ever had ends with tires screeching, curses hurled into darkness, bottles broken or court.
But this exgirlfriend was different. I thought.
I tried to be very small and hidden behind the overpriced potato chip bag display. (You know pull your shoulders in and lower your head, eyes on the floor.) But she spotted me and greeted me with "Jesus you got fat!" I replied with something like "Shit you got observant."
It turns out that the quiet ones who leave without much fuss hold grudges longer.
I never bought her a birthday cake. I never bought her a Philly Cheese Steak. I never really did much for her, or with her, or much of anything. Except waste her time and then leave her heart broken.
So I apologize for a long time. I've never had a Philly Cheese Steak take that long to cook. A 1/4 sheet cake has never been that heavy.
I aplogized from the Deli to the check out. I apologized all the way to my truck. I rolled down the window apologizing hoping to keep her eyes off my license plate.
I'm not the best man to ever live, but I'm not a bad man. I never intentionaly scar my girlfriends for life.
I'm sure it was good for her to get that closure. I am sure she was relieved to finally get it all off her chest.
But I am never going back to that Publix again.

No comments: